Vernon Golf & Country Club was incorporated June 17, 1913. A nine hole course first opened on July 30, 1913 on property in the BX area, now divided by Simmons Road, just off Silver Star Road.
In May 1922, the Vernon News reported a six hole course was opening for play. This course was located on Long Lake Road, some 20 minute walk from the Post Office. Members could pay $15.00 per year and play "both courses" or for $10.00 could play the nine hole course only.
Long Lake Road is now Kalamalka Lake Road and the old nine hole course referred to in 1922 was not on the BX property, but a nine hole course developed post World War 1 in the East Hill area of Vernon. This course was bordered by 23rd and 32nd Avenues and 15th and 19th Streets. More simply the area around the Vernon Secondary School.
The course has remained at the Kalamalka Lake Road Location since 1922, undergoing many changes. The Vernon Golf Club operated as a company, complete with shareholders and a board of directors, from it's inception in 1913 to the mid 60's. Then it was reformed under the Societies Act, which rests the ownership of the assets with the membership of the club. This was accomplished by offering lifetime social memberships to each share holder in exchange for assets of the company being conveyed to the now Vernon Golf & Country Club.
In 1947, the club received a liquor licence and installed water into the clubhouse. During the period from 1953 through 1955 came the building of grass greens and installation of an above ground sprinkler system. The fairways were now being watered for the first time ever, making remarkable differences from fairways that had been more dirt than grass. These times meant putting up with cumbersome surface sprinkler lines, except during major tournaments.
In 1964, talks began in an effort to expand to 18 holes. August 1969 brought the official opening of our 18 hole course. Since that time, many holes have been upgraded and most of the greens rebuilt. The 16th Green dates back to 1955.
In the spring of 1987, a new clubhouse was built to accommodate a membership of 800. In the fall/spring of 93/94 a major overhaul and upgrading of the irrigation system using recycled water was done, and in 94/95, the additional land to the north, purchased in 1991, was utilized to extend the first and forth holes and to create a new par three fifth hole.